Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Ghost of Eastside Records

Talk about a score.

I got a tip about a new record store in the Phoenix area.  It is called Ghost of Eastside Records, and seems to have risen from the dust of the old Eastside Records that used to be located in Downtown Tempe.  I heard about their great selection, and their great prices, so I decided to check them out.

I was blown away by their selection...and their prices.

Some of the purchases almost felt like I was stealing from them:
Jay Farrar & Benjamin Gibbard - One Fast Move or I'm Gone - $9 ($18+ on discogs)
Uncle Tupelo - Anodyne - $11 ($22+ on discogs)
Rolling Stones - Goat's Head Soup - $5 ($10+ on discogs)
REM - Out of Time - $7.50 (not sure which pressing I have, but the US one is $40 on discogs)
REM - Fables of the Reconstruction - $13 ($35 on discogs)
Pink Mountaintops - Axis of Evol - $5 ($10 on ebay and discogs)
The Jayhawks - s/t (the bunkhouse album) - $5 ($10+ on discogs)
Ben Harper and the Blind Boys of Alabama - $5 ($18+ on discogs)
Neil Young - Le Noise - $18.50 ($60+ on discogs and ebay)

I realize the advertised price of something is not always its true value, but that's about $80 for nine albums that would cost about $225 on the internet (if you don't look too hard).

So, whoever it is who runs the new Ghost of Eastside Records... I don't know how you can offer me these records at these prices and stay in business, but I salute you, and I hope you keep it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment