Friday, September 16, 2011

#37: The Refreshments - Fizzy, Fuzzy, Big & Buzzy

Release Year: 1996

This is one that goes all the way back to junior high for me.  It was eighth grade, and I was really beginning in earnest to listen to alternative rock music. The Refreshments had several hits at the time (at least locally), and they, along with Gin Blossoms, ruled the local music scene.  Every CD wallet (which was the iPod of that era) at every party had to have this disc in it.

This album has stood the test of time.  Most of the music I listened to in 8th grade has no appeal to me anymore, but fifteen years later, I enjoy this as much as ever.  In fact, I appreciate it more, because I tend to enjoy better-crafted songs like "Nada" more than I did back then.

Interestingly, I think their follow-up, The Bottle and Fresh Horses, was musically superior to this, but it doesn't hold quite the place in my heart.  When you think of the Arizona music scene in the 90s, this is the first album that comes to mind.

Standout tracks:
  • Nada
  • Mekong
  • Banditos
  • Down Together 

No comments:

Post a Comment