Monday, September 5, 2011

#48: Ben Harper - The Will to Live

 Release Year: 1997

Ben Harper has evolved a lot over time.  For me, The Will to Live was where he was at his artistic peak.  This album has the perfect blend of folk, gospel, and rock.  It has a level of sincerity he hasn't touched since then, and a level of entertainment he hadn't reached in his previous two albums.

I probably have listened to Burn to Shine considerably more than this, but I like this one more.  It's hard to explain, but it all comes down to art.  This album is legitimate art.

Nothing Ben did after Burn really inspires me, though it is, for the most part, solid.  I'll take the folksy, gospel-singing Pleasure and Pain Ben Harper over the rocking Relentless7 Ben Harper any day of the week.

Standout tracks:
  • Faded
  • Roses From My Friends
  • Glory and Consequence
  • The Will to Live 

No comments:

Post a Comment