Thursday, September 1, 2011

#49: Beck - Sea Change

And now for my 49th favorite album of all time... Beck's Sea Change.

 Release Year: 2002

This is an interesting one... I haven't heard it a whole lot of times.  I rarely listen to it, because it is incredibly mellow.  This is melancholy on a disk... and that's why I like it so much.

In case you've only heard Beck's sample-heavy radio hits ("Where It's At," "Sexx Laws," "Loser," etc.), this isn't your normal Beck Hansen.  This is all acoustic, sample-free, and backed by strings.  And it's really dark.

This album is what really turned me into a fan of Beck's.  Yeah, I liked some of the Odelay stuff.  It's an excellent album.  Here, Beck ditched the expectations and used a vehicle that is absolutely perfect for the message he was trying to get across.

 And that's what good art is.

 Standout tracks:
  • Paper Tiger
  • Guess I'm Doin' Fine
  • Sunday Sun 

No comments:

Post a Comment